Hey there bow friends,
As you might be able to tell, we’re diving into a guest food post today and by we I mean B, my very handsome partner. He’s notorious for being creative in the kitchen and coming up with the most delicious meals so I’m not surprised he’s come up with an easy way to make delicious pickles. I’ll leave the rest of the post to B. Enjoy!
Refrigerator pickles, or “quick pickles” are a great way to get a snack or sandwich topping without the trouble of fermentation or sterilized canning. These won’t keep as long as pickles made with those other methods but they can be finished overnight and will last 1-3 months.
These are a little harsh if you’re too generous with the vinegar but they are quick, easy, and delicious. I used the items listed today for this batch but other herbs like fresh dill weed are great with this recipe. If you like garlic, add as much garlic as you can handle.
I tried to keep the ratios simple so the recipe can be easily scaled for different container sizes and batch sizes. Enjoy!
- Kirby cucumbers (or other pickling cucumbers).
- 1.5 cups vinegar (white or apple cider).
- 1.0 cups water.
- 3.0 tablespoons salt.
- 0.25 cups sugar (more or less for desired sweetness).
- Spices and flavoring (get creative to achieve the flavor you want, lots of stuff tastes good in here).
- 1 tablespoon peppercorns.
- 0.5 tablespoon mustard seeds.
- 0.5 tablespoon coriander seeds.
- 1 large clove garlic (or 2 small cloves).
- Knife and cutting board.
- Saucepan or pot for boiling pickling liquid.
- Clean jar or some other clean container to store your pickles (make sure it can tolerate hot liquid).
- Slice cucumbers, then place in pickling container leaving room for liquid.
- Combine vinegar, water, salt, sugar, and spices in saucepan or pot.
- Boil the pickling liquid.
- Pour liquid over the cucumbers in the container, covering all but leaving room at the top to close the container.
- Let the mixture cool for at least 30 minutes, then close the lid and refrigerate.
- Wait as long as you want (I recommend the cucumbers sit in the pickling liquid for at least 8-12 hours).
Enjoy these things by themselves, on ham sandwiches (make them Cuban sandwiches, if you want to commit), in potato salad, on grilled cheeses, or whatever else you desire.
You’ll be hearing from Tara soon.